Politwitter relies greatly on aggregating content from various sources. Here is a list of the primary data sources used on the site.
- Twitter Steaming APi for realtime twitter updates. Twitter REST & search API for syncing other Twitter data.
- Facebook API for facebook page posts
- Youtube API for videos
- Flickr, twitpic, plixi & yfrog APIs for photos
- howdtheyvote.ca API for syncing info about federal MPs
- openparliament.ca API & RSS for House of Commons hansard data. Openparliament.ca also uses data from the Politwitter API to keep their MP social media info updated.
- punditsguide.ca Has shared data to help build the list of ridings
- vote.ca API for matching postal codes to riding names. Vote.ca also plans to use the Politwitter API to share data.