- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaBuried in Budget 2016 was a note that the Liberals plan to pursue "asset recycling” which sounds harmless and even ecological until you scratch the surface. “Asset recycling” is just a new word for privatization. This does not pull away from the same old failed Conservative policies, as was promised.
- othThe Pirate Party"Facebook is embroiled in a row with a group of British activists who say it is “censoring” material that might offend the Turkish government. Three activists – 27-year-old student Rosa Gilbert, pro-Kurdish rights campaigner Mark Campbell, and British Kurd Ari Murad – all say Facebook unfairly removed posts that they insist did not breach community standards. Posts they say were deleted include images of graffiti and protest signs accusing Turkey of oppressing the Kurdish minority in the country." https://www.buzzfeed.com/saraspary/facebook-in-dispute-with-pro-kurdish-activists-over-deleted#.vj1VXr09j
- othThe Pirate Party"The Turkish government has reportedly ordered the deletion from the internet of a German satirical video that pokes fun at President Recep Tayipp Erdo?an and condemns his human rights record." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2e2yHjc_mc
- othThe Pirate Party"I would [thank] each and everyone one of those who criticize me but if they were to insult me, my lawyers will go and file a lawsuit," Erdogan said at an event on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit. - Erdogan http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turkey-president-tayyip-erdogan-sue-1.3515555
- othThe Pirate PartyErdogan wants to censor expression in Europe as well. Is Canada next? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36104691
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaUnder intense trauma, Indigenous youth have stood up to speak hard truths to our nation. Immediate action is not an option, but a necessity. The Liberal government must address the huge shortfall in health and mental health services for Indigenous peoples.
- othThe Pirate Party"The ideologies of the old school of politics, media, monetary systems, education, corporations, and all known structures are in a state of transformation. They are crumbling. Now is the time for fundamental change on all fronts, young people have to be at the heart of the creation of the new architecture of future systems. To engage young people to be part of shaping our world, we have to allow them to take real responsibilities within all known structures and innovate new systems. It is not enough just to get more young people inside the current systems. We have to also inspire young people to be engaged. Today politics and political parties have very little trust, at least in Iceland. Parliaments are weak and that is very dangerous, it is urgent to allow new methods to direct engagement with all of us who share a society, young people and creative people are those that have to lead the way and those that have been part of the foundation of our systems to step back."
- othThe Pirate Party" The head of the Berlin branch of Germany’s Pirate Party, who was arrested for citing an insulting poem about Turkish President Erdogan, has told RT people should expect to lose their freedom of speech when their government “signs deals with dictators.” Bruno Kramm was arrested on Friday for quoting a line from Jan Boehmermann’s satirical poem about Turkish President Recep Tajiip Erdogan during a rally supporting the comedian. The latter was forced to suspend his TV show last week after Chancellor Merkel heeded Erdogan’s calls to begin criminal proceedings against the famous satirist. He is now being prosecuted under a rarely used section of the German criminal code – Section 103 – for “insulting a representative of a foreign state.”" https://www.rt.com/news/340742-bruno-kramm-erdogan-arrest-dictators/
- othThe Pirate PartyJanet Biehl at the New World Summit, on the movement for democracy in Rojava (north Syria). https://vimeo.com/157289558
- othThe Pirate PartyNew World Summit Utrecht - Friday, 29th January 2016, with Birgitta Jónsdóttir of the Pirate Party of Iceland at 2:37:33. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eACkH3xJQ_0
- othThe Pirate Party"It is a key tenet of democracy that you can accuse a political leader (and especially a vicious dictator like Erdogan) of fucking goats on a comedy show. And really, Erdogan should be able to manage. If David Cameron can go through "pig-gate" then Erdogan can cope with someone saying he sucks off sheep. Seeing as it won't stop him bombing Kurds and helping Isis and allowing his police to beat up women in the street, he should just be grateful that Merkel's government is so weak and desperate that this is the most resistance he's encountering." #FreeBruno http://www.exberliner.com/blogs/the-blog/konrad-werner-erdogan-might-be-a-goat-fucker/
- othThe Pirate PartySome of you may have heard that in January, Birgitta Jónsdóttir of the Pirate Party of Iceland had the opportunity to speak at the New World Summit: Stateless Democracy. This is not the first time international representatives from the Pirate Party have been present at one of these events. The New World Summit: Stateless Democracy is: "... a three-day assembly that explores the possibilities of uncoupling the practice of democracy from the construct of the nation-state. Core speakers are representatives of the Kurdish revolutionary movement, which in 2012 declared Rojava, the northern part of Syria an autonomous “stateless democracy” based on principles of self-governance, gender-equality, and communal economy." http://newworldsummit.eu/news/new-world-summit-stateless-democracy-utrecht/ New World Summit Utrecht - Friday, 29th January 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eACkH3xJQ_0 New World Summit-Rojava, part I. Block I Democratic Confederalism. Janet Biehl: https://vimeo.com/157289558
- othThe Pirate Party"The 21st century has transformed the content that comprises our shared culture from a scarce good to an infinite good. When we were constrained to physical media, a situation was created where only one person could have a given item at a time. Today, thanks to digitization, anybody can make an exact, lossless duplication of their content, effectively increasing the total “units” available. In a situation rather similar to Jesus pulling bread and fish out of a basket, no matter how many times something digital is copied there is always one left. Thanks to p2p (people-to-people) filesharing technology and the internet, we now have a global distribution network that allows these infinite goods to be shared with anybody who wants it. Anybody with access to content in the form of digital information can spread it around the world, and why wouldn’t they want to? There is no loss to them, yet sharing it can improve the lives of any interested person anywhere in the world with a computer and an internet connection"
- othThe Pirate Party#FreeBruno Head of Berlin Pirate Party Jailed Over Erdogan Protest: http://piratetimes.net/head-of-berlin-pirate-party-jailed-over-erdogan-protest/ Merkel lets comedian face prosecution for Erdo?an poem: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/15/angela-merkel-agrees-prosecution-comedian-erdogan-poem
- othThe Pirate Party"Bruno Kramm, the head of the Berlin branch of Piratenpartei, was arrested yesterday for ‘insulting a representative of a foreign state’. During a protest he had quoted a satirical poem by the comedian, Jan Boehmermann. Police arrested Kramm in front of the Turkish embassy in Berlin. The arrest came during a protest against the German government’s decision (earlier this month) to authorize the prosecution of the German comedian, Jan Boehmermann, over the poem he recited on German TV targeting the Turkish leader. The Pirate Party has been staging weekly Friday demonstrations against the ‘systematic terror of censorship, oppression, despotism and killings by the dictator Erdogan’. During yesterday’s demonstration, Kramm was approached by several police officers as he was reciting the lines and taken into custody. They brought him in on the grounds that he violated the rarely used section 103 of the German criminal code that prohibits insulting “organs and representatives of foreign states.”" http://piratetimes.net/head-of-berlin-pirate-party-jailed-over-erdogan-protest/ #FreeBruno
- othThe Pirate PartyIn censorship news, for those not aware yet: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36013191
- othThe Pirate Party"In Switzerland there are already many people who do not work, or hardly work: the rich." The interviewer then asked Varoufakis about a statement from Swiss corporate union Economiesuisse, which warns that the Swiss people would quickly turn to idleness. "And apparently Economiesuisse have no problem if, for example, children of rich factory owners and managers turn to "idleness" thanks to their inherited wealth. They don't work in order to survive, but in order to realize themselves. For example, by engaging in foundations, to work on projects, or to continue their education at first-class schools. Why aren't children from less privileged backgrounds allowed a fraction of these opportunities? Less competition and angst will make people more creative, thus creating new wealth."
- othThe Pirate PartyFrom: Pirate Party of Canada Swarm Orientation V. 0.1 https://wiki.pirateparty.ca/index.php?title=Swarm_Orientation
- ndpNew Democratic Party of Canada“The TPP privileges multinational corporations and foreign investors while failing to protect the public interest and promote inclusive economic growth here at home. A new report from the C.D. Howe Institute adds fuel to the fire, suggesting that the TPP will create little to no economic growth or economic welfare in Canada.”
- othThe Pirate PartyErdogan has a very fragile ego, and hates press freedom.
- othThe Pirate PartyVoting as a mode of conflict resolution fails because: 1. The process of voting creates losers. 2. People who become losers are not happy. Happy people are productive, enthusiastic, and good activists. Therefore, we want happy people. The alternatives to voting: 1. Negating the possibility of one person telling another person what they can do in the first place. Nobody gets to tell anybody else what to do. This is the norm for the Pirate Party. We call it a “do-ocracy.” 2. A consensus decision-making process where everybody can veto the way forward. This method is much more costly but can be used rarely in carefully selected scenarios in groups of 30 or less. Be careful about establishing consensus as an organizational requirement though, - it would be extremely cheap for an adversary to kill operational ability through planted bad-faith veto power. Should be used sparingly for this reason.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThe construction industry employs over 550,000 Canadians. Sudhir from Manitoba Building Trades is concerned about what will happen to these jobs under the TPP.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaEarth Day is an opportunity for Canadians to join people around the world in a call for action to preserve our planet. Canada cannot afford to stand on the sidelines when it comes to transitioning to a cleaner, greener economy.
- othThe Pirate PartyIn a motion filed April 15, Rayyan’s lawyers, Todd Shanker and Benton C. Martin, wrote: “The government clearly exploited Rayyan, and blatantly attempted to steer him toward terrorism as an acceptable form of suicide before God.”
- othThe Pirate PartySeen as a benchmark throughout the world, the Index ranks 180 countries according to the freedom allowed journalists. It also includes indicators of the level of media freedom violations in each region. These show that Europe (with 19.8 points) still has the freest media, followed distantly by Africa (36.9), which for the first time overtook the Americas (37.1), a region where violence against journalists is on the rise. Asia (43.8) and Eastern Europe/Central Asia (48.4) follow, while North Africa/Middle East (50.8) is still the region where journalists are most subjected to constraints of every kind.
- othThe Pirate Party"I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective — the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the guaranteed income." -Martin Luther King Jr.
- othThe Pirate Party"The Golden Rule: If you see something you don’t like, contribute with something you do like."
- othThe Pirate PartyWhich Pirate Party principles are most important to you?
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThe government is leaving Canadian dairy farmers behind. Sign this petition to protect our dairy farms: ruthellenbrosseau.ndp.ca/protect-canadian-dairy-farms
- othThe Pirate PartyReforms need to increase diversity in the House of Commons and politics more broadly (third principle). The chosen reform can’t make the electoral system more complex (fourth principle). Voting needs to be more user-friendly and accessible (fifth principle) and maintain the vital local connection an MP has with their constituents (sixth principle). It needs to be secure and verifiable (seventh principle). “Canadians should believe that their intentions as voters are fairly translated into elections results, without (the) significant distortion that often characterizes elections conducted under the first-past-the-post system,” she said (first principle). Canadians’ confidence needs to be restored — in their ability to influence politics and in their belief that their vote is meaningful (second principle) — and Canadians need to be inspired to find common ground and consensus (eighth principle).
- ndpNew Democratic Party of Canada"Our family dairy farms are being threatened and the NDP will continue to fight for their future.” — NDP Agriculture critic Ruth Ellen Brosseau Add your name to protect Canadian dairy producers: ruthellenbrosseau.ndp.ca/protect-canadian-dairy-farms
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThe government is leaving Canadian dairy farmers behind. Sign this petition to save our dairy farms: ruthellenbrosseau.ndp.ca/protect-canadian-dairy-farms
- othThe Pirate PartyWe're printing out posters across Canada and putting them up in coffee shops, on university campuses, and other public places to draw attention to our platform. Help spread the word! :)
- othThe Pirate PartyCountless studies have shown that people who work less are more satisfied with their lives. In a recent poll conducted among working women, German researchers quantified the “perfect day”. The largest share of minutes (106) would go toward “intimate relationships”. Down at the bottom of the list were work (36) and commuting (33). The researchers noted that “in order to maximise wellbeing it is likely that working and consuming (which increases GDP) might play a smaller role in people’s daily activities compared with now”.
- othThe Pirate Partyhttps://www.newscientist.com/article/2084755-computer-generates-all-possible-ideas-to-beat-patent-trolls/
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaFirst described as a “done deal” signed by the Conservatives, this document shows that the Foreign Affairs Minister quietly approved the Saudi Arms deal himself. Canadians need to know who is responsible for saying “yes” to an arms deal that ignores human rights.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaCanadians from coast to coast are voicing their concerns over the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Jenny from the Grandmothers Advocacy Network is concerned about access to medicines worldwide.
- othThe Pirate Party"We trust one another in the Pirate Party. Understanding, patience, collegiality, and pass are values that we want to show. Be aware of your own mood as a leader, and step away from the Swarm if you are feeling angry, frustrated or having a bad day. Take care of yourself and get enough sleep. The swarm needs you at your best. If you need to take a break from activism, take it. What’s good for you will be good for all of us."