- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaIt's time for real leadership. It's time for action on the issues that matter most.Tue 2:32 pm | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaPlace au vrai leadership. Le gouvernement doit agir maintenant sur les enjeux les plus importants.Tue 2:30 pm | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaWorld leaders meet in Paris next week and Canada must bring an ambitious plan to the world stage. Add your name for real action on climate change.Tue 12:00 pm | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaLes leaders mondiaux seront à la Conférence de Paris la semaine prochaine et le Canada doit s'engager à adopter des mesures ambitieuses. Ajoutez votre nom si vous croyez que nous devons prendre de réelles actions dans la lutte contre les changements climatiques.Tue 11:58 am | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaWatch: Tom Mulcair lays out NDP expectations for action on climate change and the refugee crisis ahead of the premiers’ meeting.Mon 2:02 pm | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThe Conservatives negotiated the TPP in secret. And despite promising change, the Liberals are secretly telling world leaders they’ll rubber stamp the deal. Add your name to tell Justin Trudeau to stop the job-killing TPP.Fri 7:52 am | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaLes conservateurs ont négocié le PTP en catimini. Les libéraux promettaient du changement, mais ils ont déjà dit aux dirigeants mondiaux qu’ils allaient approuver l’accord. Ajoutez votre nom et dites à Justin Trudeau que vous ne voulez pas du PTP qui menace nos emplois.Fri 7:51 am | ,
- othThe Pirate PartyCreative Commons on how TPP would harm rights and the Commons. https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/46455 #TPP #copyrightFri 4:59 am | ,
- othThe Pirate Party"I think what ISIS wants to do is provoke a right-wing backlash against refugees and immigrant communities that come from Islamic countries, because that conflict gives credence to their world view that there is a war between the West and Islam."
- othThe Pirate PartyEdward Snowden's wide-ranging conversation with the Freedom of the Press Foundation's Micah Lee on operational security for normal people is a must-read for anyone who wants to be safe from identity thieves, stalkers, corrupt governments, police forces, and spy agencies.
- othThe Pirate PartyStephen Harper essentially instructed his cabinet and officials that everything was a secret unless specifically exempted, and such exemptions were exceedingly rare. Harper believed in the old and most elitist vision of democracy: that you govern on behalf of the electors, not at their behest. In other words, once they elect you, what you do is none of their business until the next election.
- libNov 13, 2015 5:52 am | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of Canada“Tom Mulcair will rely on veteran members of his team to help the NDP flex its muscles in Parliament”
- ndpNew Democratic Party of Canada« Mulcair confiera à des députés du Québec le mandat de surveiller la gestion des finances publiques et la politique étrangère du nouveau gouvernement libéral lorsqu'il annoncera la composition de son cabinet fantôme »
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaTom Mulcair dévoile le cabinet fantôme de l’opposition progressiste formée par le NPD.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaTom Mulcair announces progressive opposition’s shadow cabinet.
- othThe Pirate PartyLive from Brazil. The Internet Governance Forum. Hope they keep the non governance factor that lead to free and open innovation and success of the late 20th and early 21st century. https://www.youtube.com/user/igf
- othThe Pirate PartyCanada, get familiarize with TPP! Only a huge public outcry can stop it from passing. Stopping TPP is a fight for innovators and the future of our information / knowledge economy. From Jim Balsillie, a businessman who helped build Research in Motion: the deal contains “troubling” rules on intellectual property that threaten to make Canada a “permanent underclass” in the economy of selling ideas. http://globalnews.ca/news/2326744/tpp-deal-worst-thing-that-harper-government-has-done-for-canada-balsillie/ #StopTPP #cdnpoli #TPP
- othThe Pirate Party"We want to remind you: This operation is not about the ideas of members of the Ku Klux Klan. This is about the behaviors of members of KKK splinter cells that bear the hallmarks of terrorism. When members of the KKK like Frazier Glenn Miller, (founder of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and the White Patriot Party) murdered three innocent individuals at a Jewish retirement home during Passover - the word "terrorism" was seldom found in mainstream media's coverage of the attack. Why? What sort of violence does it take to call *some* factions of Ku Klux Klan what *some* of these cells really are? We defend free thought and free speech. The anons responsible for this operation will not support *acts* of terrorism and *acts* of hate inflicted upon the public. The KKK is part of an important cultural landscape and history in the United States. We need to make room for important, blunt, honest, public, productive conversation. Violent bigotry IS a problem in the United States. "
- othThe Pirate PartyTweeted by @CanadaTrade TPP text released by #NewZealand, acting as #TPP depository, available here: http://www.mfat.govt.nz/tppdepositary 24 retweets 4 likes #cdnpoli
- othThe Pirate Party"This year, however, I’m not going to just hold my nose and wait for yet another batch of politicians to over-step their mandate and the public patience. This time, I’m going to take some action. But what does a person do when the political options aren’t adequate? For me the answer is to turn to a party that could represent me. Team Purple. The Pirate Party of Canada."
- othThe Pirate PartyTo kick things off for this new term of government, here's our proposal for Open Internet from the office of our new Innovation, Science & Economic Development Critic. https://www.pirateparty.ca/2015/11/04/pirate-industry-critic-and-former-pirate-candidate-proposes-open-internet-policy/ #cdnpoli #pm23 #trudeaumania #teamtrudeau #remixgov
- othThe Pirate PartySpeaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped.
- othThe Pirate Party"The US Pirate Party would love to be able to offer ballot space to Professor Lessig to run as a Pirate candidate, but currently, we unable to do that either. We are unable to do that because the means for getting party registration and ballot access (as well as keeping it) is deliberately made as difficult as possible. We have 50 sets of rules to follow, one for each of the 50 different states, for ballot access, and most are deliberately made difficult to fulfill. In most states, if you then don’t reach some arbitrary goal, be it signatures numbering in the thousands, expenditure limits, or votes won, your party is de-registered and you have to undergo the entire process again. It’s not that a democracy can’t handle multiple parties; in fact, democracy flourishes in direct proportion to the number of parties. It just makes it easier for those in charge of ballot access – usually a partisan elected position such as Secretary of State or Lt. Governor – to restrict the number of parties to reduce any potential threat to their own political well-being. That’s not democracy, that’s outright anti-democratic, the very antithesis of what democratic discourse should be."
- othThe Pirate PartyHappy Halloween! Here are some spooky facts about TPP: Comic Con's and fan convention's creative works would be criminalized under the TPP. h/t OpenMedia: Will the new TPP copyright provisions hurt homemade Halloween costumes and cosplay? https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/will-the-new-tpp-copyright-provisions-hurt-homemade-halloween-costumes-and-cosplay-171608570.html Our related video on TPP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iooHkQ-fo-Y #cdnpoli #TPP #Halloween #copyright #monopoly Help share your ideas for upgrading our government and creating a viable alternative voice in parliament. http://remixgov.ca
- othThe Pirate PartyWe were featured in a bit of satire on the National Post "The Pirate Party was founded by computer nerd file-sharers, which means they have one of the best websites of any of the fringe parties. It also means they have nobody in the room to tell them that it’s not okay to wear fedoras in their official campaign portrait. The party was founded on the principle of loosening copyright laws, although they’ve got other ideas like a guaranteed minimum income, open-source government and other such things that people can’t shut up about on online gaming forums."
- othThe Pirate PartyShout out to our siblings in the Icelandic Pirate Party! Keep it up!
- othThe Pirate PartyTPP will trade away our constitutional rights - Toronto Star opinion piece by two University of Toronto's law professor. http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/10/28/tpp-trades-away-our-constitutional-rights.html Something we've been saying when our TPP info vid was first released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iooHkQ-fo-Y It is like the C51 of the internet but only worse. #cdnpoli #TPP #remixgov #C51 #StopTPP Join us at http://remixgov.ca to crowdsource ideas for upgrading our democracy and improving our government.
- othThe Pirate PartyUber, Airbnb, on-demand economy and the rise of precarious jobs. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/rise-of-sharing-services-uber-airbnb-points-to-a-precarious-labour-climate/article26968204/ #cdnpoli #economy #remixgov Have a great idea for upgrading our democracy and government for the information age? We want to hear from you. http://remixgov.ca
- othThe Pirate PartyWe need to protect whistleblowers who expose wrongdoing.
- othThe Pirate Party"People will work... on tasks of their choosing, not on paid jobs with which they only barely identify with, if at all. Now that cannot happen if people don't have the means to get the basic resources they need to live with dignity. That's where basic income comes in."
- othThe Pirate PartyNew "O" rating to better inform and prepare audiences for unusual movies, which might not be suitable for all audiences. http://www.theonion.com/article/mpaa-adds-new-rating-warn-audiences-films-not-base-51651
- othThe Pirate PartyDoes copyright law still encourages creation? or is it putting a chilling effect on the freedom to create? This week's CBC's "Podcast Playlist" talks about the chilling effects of current copyright law, referencing the case of Robin Thicke's Blurred line. http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcastplaylist/episode-17-consuming-culture-1.3277885 The news on that verdict from March of this year http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/blurred-lines-jury-verdict-tests-boundaries-on-copyright-infringement-1.2990930 #cdnpoli #copyright #remixgov http://remixgov.ca
- othThe Pirate PartySpotted in Vancouver... It was either an NDP or Green sign turned inside out.
- othThe Pirate PartyFor anyone who thinks welfare proves otherwise, it doesn't. Because we attach conditions, we actually introduce certain harmful effects. By targeting assistance to households instead of individuals, we create an incentive for the formation of single parent households. By removing assistance as incomes increase, we create an incentive to stay out of the labor market. By giving only to those determined to be deserving, we attach a stigma to the assistance and to its recipient. These are not problems with the provisioning of cash assistance itself. These are problems with the way we go about designing our assistance programs. They are the result of non-universality and the inclusion of conditions that are actually and provably counterproductive.
- othThe Pirate PartyIceland’s Pirate Party keeps on receiving remarkable support in polls. According to a brand new poll by Market and Media Research (MMR), the Pirates have the support of 34.2% of the nation, making it Iceland’s most popular party, 12.5 points larger than the party in second place. The Pirates received 5.1% of votes in the 2013 elections, meaning that support for the party is close to seven times larger now than in the elections. This large support for the Pirates has been very consistent in various polls published this year.
- othThe Pirate PartyThis is a good tool to track Trudeau's performance and promises. Kudos to the creator of this site. This is something that can be built-in to an open data system like that suggested in our Open Government and Constituents-Representatives-Interaction-System (C.R.I.S.) policy. https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/
- othThe Pirate Party"Party members have spent the last several months developing policy resolutions touching important priorities like investments in infrastructure, telecommuting solutions, youth employment, post-secondary education, and restoring trust in democracy. These are the policies that were adopted at the Montreal 2014 – Liberal Biennial Convention." -Liberal.ca
- othThe Pirate PartyGeneral Meeting starting soon on irc or mumble https://pirateparty.ca/chat
- othThe Pirate PartyThe Pirate Party has re-introduced a bill they submitted last year, calling for a full-time day to be reduced from eight hours to seven. The bill in question is unchanged from its previous iteration, with the exception that, in addition to the Pirates and Social Democrat MP Sigríður Ingibjörg Ingadóttir signing on to it, it also has the support of Left-Green MP Bjarkey Olsen Gunnarsdóttir.