- othThe Pirate Party"Evelyn Forget, a health economist at the University of Manitoba, has done some of the best research on the results. Some of her findings were obvious: Poverty disappeared. But others were more surprising: High-school completion rates went up; hospitalization rates went down. “If you have a social program like this, community values themselves start to change,” Forget said." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/magazine/switzerlands-proposal-to-pay-people-for-being-alive.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 Question of the day: How much does Canada spend on social welfare on a yearly basis? ~Wilson6 hours ago | ,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThis is what Stephen Harper's Canada looks like: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/12/09/interactive_graphic_stephen_harper_governments_cutbacks.html You deserve better.Mon 10:14 am | ,
- othThe Pirate PartySome welcome, albeit unexpected, criticism to the TPP and TAFTA. ""Enhancing the monopolies on life-saving medicines" is a clear swipe at TPP, which aims to do precisely that, with what are likely to be terrible and even fatal consequences for the poor in the Pacific region. And the phrase "excessive legal rights to foreign investors, limiting the policy space for nations to promote sustainable and inclusive development" is obviously a reference to the imposition of corporate sovereignty clauses in both TPP and TAFTA/TTIP." http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131205/11253225471/holy-see-pope-criticizes-tpp-taftattip-wto-speech.shtml ~WilsonThu 1:35 pm | ,
- ndpThu 1:07 pm | ,
- ndpThu 12:17 pm | ,
- ndpThu 12:17 pm | ,
- othThe Pirate PartyMP Michael Chong's caucus reform bill went to first reading today (link to bill text below). For the most part it is a case of 'exactly what it says on the tin' with caucuses being able remove a leader but leaving it to the party membership to select a replacement. Caucus positions themselves (such as the chair) would also be selected by the caucus and not the leader. Where the bill has some issues is regarding having EDA's (riding associations) be the final say on a person's candidacy rather than the party leader. A quick reading does not specify what a party is to do if they don't have an EDA. This is concerning, not only as it will severely handicap minor parties in running candidates but will also make it more difficult to form new parties. Let me be clear, the PPCA supports reform to weaken the powers exercised by party leaders but not at the cost of disallowing alternate voting options. We are currently seeking clarification regarding the EDA section. If it turns out that not having an EDA is not an impediment to running candidates the party is prepared to lend its support to this bill. http://www.reformact2013.ca/The-Reform-Act-text.pdf ~Wilson
- othThe Pirate Party"Thought ACTA was dead? While the EU Parliament may have strongly rejected it, and even with the EU Commission (who negotiated it) admitting that ACTA is dead, a variety of other countries still did sign on to the agreement. And, now, it appears that with basically no one paying any attention at all, Canada may be about to pass some laws to effectively tie itself to ACTA's ridiculous requirements. The bill was originally introduced back in March, but was never considered by the Canadian Parliament. However, in late October, it was reintroduced under a new code, C-8, and it looks like it's moving forward, despite almost no public discussion of it anywhere." http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131201/22105325420/without-anyone-paying-attention-canada-is-about-to-change-its-laws-to-join-acta.shtml ~Wilson
- libNov 29, 2013 4:24 pm | Manitoba,
- othThe Pirate Party"His proposed legislation would also give party riding associations the ultimate say in electoral nominations, removing the leader's signature from the equation for the first time since 1970. ... One measure would entrench in the Parliament of Canada Act that the different Commons caucuses — also referred to as parliamentary parties — have the power to trigger a leadership review vote, as long as 15 per cent of the caucus applies in writing for one. After that, a simple majority of MPs, 50 per cent plus one, could vote to turf the leader and have a leadership race." http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/michael-chong-s-bill-would-give-mps-power-to-eject-their-leader-1.2445411 Historically the caucus had the power to toss their leader until the 1930s when national conventions became the standard. While more democratic it did result in the leader gaining greater control over MPs, who could no longer get rid of them. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. ~Wilson
- libLiberal Party Manitoba(Video) At Issue Panel discusses conservative senate scandal and their behaviour in the House of CommonsNov 29, 2013 6:40 am | Manitoba,
- libLiberal Party Manitoba"Group of Tory Backbenchers Pushing To Limit Prime Minister's Power"Nov 29, 2013 6:33 am | Manitoba,
- othThe Pirate Party"And she says the Access to Information Act should be amended to require government officials create records documenting their decisions. The impetus for her investigation was a complaint to her office about an email received in which one government official asked another to use a "pin" instead of email to communicate. But, in an interview with CBC News, Legault said it is impossible to determine if government officials are using instant messaging on purpose, to get around access laws." http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ban-government-use-of-instant-messages-access-watchdog-says-1.2443659 ~Wilson
- libLiberal Party ManitobaSnow falling, wind blowing in southern ManitobaNov 27, 2013 6:53 am | Manitoba,
- othThe Pirate Party"Techdirt readers may recall that it was precisely this concept of indirect "expropriation" that Eli Lilly invoked when suing Canada under NAFTA's ISDS section. As the declaration rightly notes, the lawyers who make up ISDS tribunals are inherently biased in favour of corporations because they can represent the same companies in other corporate sovereignty cases -- an extraordinary conflict of interest." http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131126/04150225376/resistance-grows-to-inclusion-corporate-sovereignty-canada-eu-trade-agreement-ceta.shtml ~Wilson
- libLiberal Party ManitobaTerry Hayward: "This has been an experience that I will never forget"Nov 26, 2013 9:47 pm | Manitoba,
- libNov 26, 2013 6:25 pm | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaMerci à nos candidats pour les élections partielles Stéphane Moraille pour Bourassa, Cory Szczepanski, Natalie Courcelles Beaudry, Linda McQuaig et à leurs équipes de campagne dévouées. Remerciez-les et partagez ceci.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThank you to our by-election candidates Stéphane Moraille pour Bourassa, Cory Szczepanski, Natalie Courcelles Beaudry, Linda McQuaig and their dedicated campaign teams. Say thanks and share this.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaToday’s report from the Auditor General showed once again how Conservative mismanagement has led to a serious deterioration of the systems Canadians rely on to keep us safe.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaLe rapport du vérificateur général déposé aujourd’hui démontre une fois de plus que la mauvaise gestion des conservateurs a mené à une importante détérioration des organismes essentiels qui assurent la sécurité des Canadiens.
- libNov 26, 2013 10:15 am | Manitoba,
- libNov 26, 2013 9:40 am | Manitoba,
- libLiberal Party ManitobaToday's cover of the Winnipeg Free PressNov 26, 2013 9:16 am | Manitoba,
- libNov 24, 2013 8:02 pm | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaWhat a campaign! Only a few hours to go. On November 25th, vote Linda McQuaig for Toronto Centre. Spread the word and share this.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaLet’s elect a strong voice for Provencher. On November 25th, vote Natalie Courcelles Beaudry. Spread the word and share this.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaIl est temps de donner une voix forte aux gens de Provencher. Le 25 novembre, votez Natalie Courcelles Beaudry. Passez le mot et partagez!
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaLet’s elect a true community leader in Brandon-Souris. On November 25th, vote Cory Szczepanski. Spread the word and share this.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaShe’ll be a great addition to our dedicated Quebec team. On November 25th, vote Stéphane Moraille pour Bourassa. Spread the word and share this.
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaStéphane Moraille sera une super addition à notre équipe du Québec. Le 25 novembre, votez Stéphane Moraille dans Bourassa. Passez le mot et partagez!
- libLiberal Party ManitobaN’oubliez pas : votez demain pour l’#byelxn41! Trouvez l’info dont vous avez besoin ici #bdnmb #provencherNov 24, 2013 11:32 am | Manitoba,
- libLiberal Party ManitobaRemember: vote tomorrow in #byelxn41! Get the info you need here #provencher #bdnmbNov 24, 2013 11:30 am | Manitoba,
- libNov 23, 2013 8:07 pm | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaIt’s a very close race in Toronto Centre. We need your help to get out the vote. Volunteer for Linda McQuaig: http://lindamcquaig.ca/volunteer
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaPlans in Provencher this weekend? Help elect Natalie Courcelles Beaudry. Sign up to volunteer: http://nataliecourcellesbeaudry.ndp.ca/volunteer
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaDes plans dans Provencher en fds? Aidez à faire élire Natalie Courcelles Beaudry. Devenez bénévole : http://nataliecourcellesbeaudry.npd.ca/devenir-benevole
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaDo you live in Brandon, Manitoba? Volunteer to elect Cory Szczepanski in Monday’s by-election: http://coryszczepanski.ndp.ca/volunteer
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaIl est encore temps d’appuyer Stéphane Moraille dans Bourassa. Devenez bénévole : http://stephanemoraille.npd.ca/devenir-benevole
- libNov 23, 2013 2:03 pm | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaThere’s still time to be a part of our campaign in Bourassa. Sign up to volunteer with Stéphane Moraille pour Bourassa http://stephanemoraille.ndp.ca/volunteer
- othThe Pirate Party"That said, one thing the new bill does is allow ISPs to voluntarily give customer information to police without civil or criminal liability, Slane points out. "That’s the one that’s most sticky for me," she says, because it was this kind of legislation that led to widespread surveillance in the U.S." http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-cyberbullying-law-has-larger-agenda-expands-police-powers-1.2434797?cmp=rss ~Wilson
- libLiberal Party ManitobaPeople are getting to know Ted Falk, another article about his bullying of a gay teen #provencher #mbpoli #cdnpoliNov 22, 2013 7:42 pm | Manitoba,
- libLiberal Party Manitoba(Video) #CPC Ted Falk doesn't seem convinced if his own answers for ducking debates when caught by CBC #provencher #mbpoli #cdnpoliNov 22, 2013 4:43 pm | Manitoba,
- ndpNew Democratic Party of CanadaToronto Centre wants change. Check out the new video from Linda McQuaig's campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYS2f9wfeI
- othThe Pirate Party"Medical marijuana users are accusing the federal government of violating their privacy and jeopardizing their safety after Health Canada sent out letters in envelopes that outed them as medical marijuana users." http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/medical-marijuana-users-outed-in-health-canada-privacy-gaffe-1.2435676 Anyone keeping count of how many privacy breaches this government has had? ~Wilson
- libLiberal Party ManitobaThe same week that Harper introduces Cyberbullying bill, candidate bullies teen... #bdnmb #provencher #mbpoliNov 21, 2013 8:53 pm | Manitoba,
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 ... 101 Next »